- Chattels = personal property (all your stuff, except land and buildings).
- Interference with personal property: deliberate damage or depriving you of possession.
- Private, money damage remedies for theft and vandalism.
- The difference is the magnitude of the harm.
- If modest harm, small harm = trespass to chattels
- If degree of harm is significant, extensive = conversion (electronic records)
- Conversion remedy for P = full market value, not simply the cost of repair. (you break it, you bought it)
- Trespass to Chattels remedy: cost of repair.
Torts: Intentional Torts: Trespass to Chattels and Conversion
Trespass to Chattels and Conversion – both involve intentional interference with personal property.