- Marriage - a promise the consideration for which is marriage (unless the promise is 1 of 2 mutual promises to marry each other) such as a promise by A to pay $10,000 to B if B marries C.
- Year - a promise that cannot possibly be fully performed within 1 year, such as a promise by A to employ B for 5 years.
- Land - a promise to buy or sell land
- Executor - a promise by an executor to pay the debts of the decedent's estate out of the executor's own pocket, such as a promise by executor A to pay B a debt owed to B by decedent C's estate
- Goods for $500 or more - a promise to buy or sell goods for a price of $500 more more
- Suretyship - a promise made by a surety to a creditor to pay a debt that a debtor owes the creditor, such as a promise by A to pay C a debt that B owes C.